🌞 What's in my Makeup Bag: Summer Edition 🌞
Happy Monday beauties! Summertime is here in full force. I spent my Father's Day celebrating all the dads in my life (SHOUT-OUT: Taylor Stakes. You da real MVP) and simultaneously sweating until there was nothing left of me. Now that I shared too much information with you (so, the normal introduction to a HopeForFashion blog), I'll just skip to the heart of it: the summer makeup staples that I adore. Below are just a few of the beauty items I haven't been able to stop reaching for lately:
- For the Eyes: I've found myself obsessing over the Tarte Toasted Eyeshadow Palette and the Anastasia Beverly Hills Soft Glam Eyeshadow Palette. Both are gorgeous, but if I could only pick one, it would be the latter. While the Soft Glam shadows look boring online (don't trust the pictures, go in and see it in store) I've just found I can do such a wide variety of looks with that one palette. I have found it's perfect to travel with also, because it has everything I need. It's a new staple in my vanity.
- Bronzed Goddess Goals: If you're skipping bronzer in the summer, you're doing it wrong (in my humble opinion). Ok, what am I saying -- I don't know you. You probably have oodles of time to lay out by the pool (while wearing SPF of course) and achieve a natural tan. However, I do not. I have a toddler and a full-time job. I'm over caffeinated and over exposed to fluorescent lighting. Thus, my love of bronzer (fake it 'til you make it hunny!). Right now, my current favorites are the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Radiant Bronze Light (Life Hack: purchase the mini! Great way to see if you like it before investing a ton), Tarte's Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof bronzer in Park Avenue Princess and IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Bronzer.
- Minimal Effort: Honestly, summertime just means I want to spend less time in front of the mirror and more time living/playing/swimming/doing. Quick and easy is key. I recommend the Smashbox Photo Finish Primerizer which is a primer and moisturizer in one. It makes Step 1 of my makeup application a breeze (summer pun intended). My favorite lip look is also easy breezy: TooFaced Peach Matte Long Wear Lipstick in Sunday Sunday. It smells divine and just keeps my lips from disappearing. It leaves the lips feeling a bit hydrated too, which is a bonus.
That's all for now loves, but while we're on the subject, be sure to go enter the makeup giveaway happening right now on my Instagram. Click here or visit my page @hope4fashion. Hugs!
Winter Makeup Trend: Juicy Lips
Beauties, how have you been? I hope your holiday season is off to a glorious start! I am soaking up the sounds and sights of the seasons and yet again, never want this season to end (until I have to start buying presents -- dat's esspensive)! I fully intend to soak everything up and enjoy it even more through the eyes of my sweet toddler, JT. So far I have a holiday hayride planned for us (at Natural Bridge Caverns), an evening trip to the Riverwalk to enjoy the lights, and we have a post-Christmas trip to Missouri planned to visit all my mom's family. It's going to be busy in the best way possible.
But enough about the holidays and on to the good stuff: the makeup. I just wanted to share with you some thoughts I had on a new trend I'm observing: juicy, glossy lips. The glossier the better I would say. First, I'm totally here for it. Who doesn't look good in lipgloss?? I can't think of anyone. It adds a sexy plumpness to the lips that is just great. And my tip for my more mature readers who worry about glosses drifting or feathering outside the lines: line your lips with a favorite liner (mine is the Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Liner) and then add gloss only to the insides of your lips.
Here are my current favorite ways to pucker up:
1. Too Faced Melted Latex, Liquified High Shine Lipstick
Where do I start? The pigment is so real, the glossiness lasts for hours (not exaggerating), it's just my favorite. I have it in 4 colors, Hopeless Romantic (warm nude), Peekaboo (pink nude), Bite Me (burgundy), and Strange Love (chocolate brown).
2. Buxom Full-On Lip Polish
This is hands down my favorite plumping gloss. It provides the perfect juicy plumping without stinging or strange tingling (LipSense, here's looking' at you). I adore the shades White Russian and Maria.
3. Marc Jacobs Enamored Hi-Shine Lip Lacquer Lipgloss
First off, could this product name be any more obnoxious and over-the-top?! I think not. Regardless, I purchased this during the VIB Rouge sale, after hearing at least a dozen YouTubers rave about how Marc Jacobs created the perfect nude gloss in the shade Sugar Sugar. Let me tell you, it does NOT disappoint. I (along with most of YouTube) highly recommend.
4. Burt's Bees Lip Gloss
This is a fantastic drug store product! I love the shade I picked up from HEB, Autumn Haze. It doesn't have my favorite smell, but I feel good about putting this on my lips knowing it has shea butter and is made up mostly of natural oils. Also, who doesn't want to make a boring grocery store trip more fun by throwing a pretty gloss in their cart??
(i.e. products I like and enjoy but am not obsessed with and don't want you to spend too much money on during the holiday season when expenses are literally everywhere)
- Tarte's Tarteist Glossy Lip Paint in Hella (a gorgeous white nude; love the color, doesn't last as long as I'd like)
- IT Cosmetics News Anchor Blue Vitality Lip Flush Butter Gloss (this gloss smells amazing and can truly make your teeth shine white, but it's also way too easy to over apply and look like you're having some kind of medical emergency... if you don't apply in front of the mirror, beware)
That's all for now folks, what emerging beauty/fashion trends are you excited about this season?
Too Faced Just Peachy Palette Dupe
You guys, I am shooketh. I have found the most beautiful dupe for a pricey (but so gorgeous) Too Faced palette, their new Just Peachy matte palette. But fortunately, this dupe I'm sharing didn't make my eyes itch all day like the Too Faced version. I had to return the Just Peachy palette after one use; the allergic reaction was far too real.
I can't even take credit for this dupe, my amazing friend Angeline got me this beauty for my birthday! She knows about my love affair with make-up. When I started playing with this palette, I was blown away. Then when I looked it up online to share with all of you because I loved it so very much, I saw the price point and was blown away times 200 (click the images above for details/to purchase).
The colors are gorgeous for fall and winter looks, and it's got a great mix of mattes with a few gorgeous shimmers (a bonus since the Just Peachy matte palette has no shimmers). It's laid out similarly to the Urban Decay Naked palettes, so the only teensy criticism I would have is that the mirror is basically pointless. Granted the mirror never matters much to me anyway, because I'm always getting ready in my bathroom or else I'm doing my full face using one of my giant Tarte palettes with a great mirror (like my Tarteist Pro or Clay Play palette).
Had to share this amazing find with you since it's less than half the price and has ingredients that I feel much better about (after researching on my EWG Healthy Living app) than the pricey Too Faced version, yet still chock-full of the same gorgeous shades! Be sure to let me know if you end up checking it out.
Makeup Tutorials for the Masses
If you're anything like me, you sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at your makeup and trying to decide what look to pair with that perfect outfit you've carefully crafted. Or spent too much time pondering the perfect eye look to pair with a bold lip (still not sure I've cracked that nut). Never fear! I've been there oh-so-many times, and I'm here to help. With the power of YouTube! 💪🏽 It's my current favorite learning platform (second only to Google search of course), and it's so great for makeup tips, tricks, and reviews.
I cannot even tell you how much money I've saved because I did some solid, YouTube research and saw that the products didn't perform. But alternatively, I know YouTube has caused me to spend so SO much money on the latest palette I convinced myself I needed (eye-rolls here).
So, I've scrolled through my YouTube history in the hopes of sharing the most helpful videos with you beauties. Take a peek and be sure to share your favorites with me!
Do's & Don'ts: This tutorial by Shaaanxo helped me step up my makeup game fo' real. I had no idea I was going in too heavy-handed with my powder contours & bronzers or that I was trying to build up my eye shadow too quickly! Sounds corny, but I can tell a difference in my makeup since I've started heeding her tips.
Makeup Transformations: I always appreciate watching Patrick Starrr working makeup magic on various celebrity clients. He always works in super helpful tips, often ones that seem obvious, but that I've never heard explained/detailed before. EX: Baby Ariel Makeup Transformation, Maddie Ziegler Makeup Tutorial, Katy Perry Makeup Tutorial
Anti-Hauls: I debated adding these to my list, but I seriously love watching anti-hauls. Anti-Hauls are a fairly unique genre in the YouTube Beauty/Makeup world. Let me explain: A "Haul" is a video where someone just shows their viewers their recent shopping purchases. For a lot of beauty influencers, that means showing off hundreds of dollars worth of makeup and skincare products. It often feeds into the "I Need More" mentality that I personally certainly already struggle with. An Anti-Haul is just the opposite: it's a video where an influencer goes through a list of products they won't be buying and why it doesn't interest them. I appreciate them because they are just so much more realistic for the majority, middle-class consumer: "I can't buy everything, so what will I trim from my wish list / shopping list?" It is straight-up overwhelming how many releases makeup companies have in a calendar year. It is literally not possible to purchase it all on a budget, and these videos help me realistically decide what I will purchase and what I can very much live without. EX: Jackie Aina, Nicole Cutler, Jackie He
That's all for now my friends! Have a beautiful day.
💙💚 I heart Instagram 💛💜
More nudes please!
Currently, I am obsessed with nudes. No, not those kind silly. I'm talking about the perfect nude lippie: the ones that make your lips look effortlessly kissable, as though you have fully embraced the #nomakeup makeup look (while still rockin' a face that took 45 minutes to put together). Not sure if I'm behind the curve on this one, but this summer has had me reaching for gorgeous "your lips but better" shades all day long. But, I couldn't keep my favorites to myself! Here are my current favorites:
- TooFaced Melted Latex Lipstick in Peekaboo and Hopeless Romantic: Think of this as the love child your favorite gloss and your favorite lipstick would have. It has the shine of a gloss with the staying power of a lipstick. I will definitely be picking up at least two of the vampy shades in this lipstick for fall. #fire
- Buxom Matte Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick in White Russian: Honestly, all of the White Russian lip products are DYNAMITE, highly recommend any and all of them!
- Buxom Full-On Lip Polish in Maria: Just a great, on-the-go, glossy nude with a bit of plumping power.
- Taste Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint in OG (mauve nude) and Get It (apricot nude): I lerv this stay-all-day, transfer-proof matte lipstick formula. 10 out of 10 would recommend!